NextGIS has just finished the first stage of GIS that monitors forest plots certified by the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC).
The objective of the project entitled, “Facilitating monitoring of large forestry enterprises in Russia using remote sensing data,” was to collect information and build tools for effective data analysis. The project was carried out by NextGIS and Biodiversity Conservation Center, with the collaboration of FSC Russia, and financial support from the Embassy of Netherlands’ MATRA program.
- Geospatial data was created for 70 out of 123 certified forest plots
- The development of free and opensource software that detects changes on certified areas using remote sensing data
- The development of free and opensource software for quick statistics generation
- Change analysis for 20 plots to detect forest logging and fires during the lease period
- Analysis of forest management data for administrative regions of Russia available via the web (forest plans and forest regulations)
Details and links are available on the project’s description page.